Since the industrial revolution in the late 90s, the human population has grown and is still growing at an exponential rate with no signs of slowing down. Multiple industries use materials that adversely affect the environment creating destruction and leaving an ever-lasting impact on nature. Materials such as virgin plastic, polythene, heavy metals, toxic paints, and dyes are highly detrimental to the environment and can’t even be recycled.
Same as Charity, Sustainability begins at home. Not just the environment but even humankind is affected by sustainable life choices.
At GBSL, we keep sustainability as one of our prime concerns while creating synergy and product supply chain across the world. As a leader in the market and maintaining the product supply chain, we need to make some effective choices in the usage of products and nurture eco-friendly behavior.
Sustainability at a Glance
As per the UN World Commission on Environment and Development: “Sustainable development is comprised to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
In simple words, Sustainability is the balance between the environment, equity, and economy.
According to the sustainability committee at the University of California, Los Angeles, “The integration of environmental health, social equity, and economic vitality to create thriving, healthy, diverse and resilient communities for this generation and generations to come. The practice of sustainability recognizes how these issues are interconnected and require a systems approach and an acknowledgment of complexity.”
GBSL believes in the Principles and Objectives of Sustainable Products Development.
Sustainability doesn’t only consist of planting trees or saving water; the future of sustainability has several objectives and principles. We should consider the following key points.
- Equitable use of Natural and Environmental Resources: Sustainable development promotes responsible management to ensure fair use of natural and environmental resources to meet the essential needs of both present and future generations.
- Proactive and Remedial Protection: With sustainable development, we can protect the environment in a proactive and remedial manner, emphasizing anticipation and prevention.
- Enhancing the Quality of Life: Sustainable development supports responsible development, promoting efficiency and improving the quality of life. GBSL has a strong network of factories all over Asia, especially in Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, India & China. GBSL believes in promoting and enhancing smaller factories that manufacture sustainable products.
- Interdependence of Humans and Nature: Sustainable Development helps us to decide and recognize the interdependence of humans and nature in a shared ecosystem.
- Restoring Resources: Sustainable development promotes recycling, responsible use, and conservation practices of resources.
Sustainability impacting human living standards
The ecological, human, and economic health and vitality are all affected by sustainability. The products you choose to use in your daily household also say a lot about your concern for nature and the environment.
For instance, leather from bicast or full-grain to bonded production is not only hazardous to animals but the humankind and the environment. The process involved in producing such materials is cruel to animals and a root of environmental devastation.
Thankfully, there are still varied vegan leather options to choose from that aren’t inhuman to nature.
The quality and durability of leather products are important factors when considering product life.
We need to be concerned about what exactly will bring our nature into safer hands without compromising the needs of human living standards.
Attaining Sustainability through Informed Methodologies:
- Go for Certified sustainable Products: Choose products with the GREENGUARD certification, ISO Environment Management Standards, GOTS, BCI, FSC, and similar certifications. GBSL is globally certified and assured by global sustainable standards working only with BSCI compliant or similar vendors.
- Invest in Long-lasting pieces: While picking your essentials, choose the finest materials with minimum impact on the ecosystem. Materials such as Resin, Wood, Ceramic, Rattan, Ocean Plastic, Seagrass, etc. are naturally renewable with usage in multiple industries fully motivated to meet sustainability goals.
- Eco-friendly Materials: Using eco-friendly materials reduces the demand for limited resources and improves energy efficiency. It is a sustainable method of achieving eco-friendly power steps.
- The 3R Concept: One of the essential steps toward nature is upholding the materials and products through its last stage by reducing resource usage, reusing, and recycling the original products. We believe in working closely with our community globally to build a safer and more transparent world.
- Durability is a priority: Not every raw material used or product manufactured can be recycled, giving us a clear trail to opt for sustainable production techniques.
The Bottom line
Each human’s moral responsibility is to give their best effort to save the environment and believe in offering a resourceful future to the coming generation.
Sustainable practices followed by GBSL include having proper sustainable certification with a complete tracing of raw material. We also strongly believe in using resources wisely and conservatively.
We strongly believe that by working closely with all stakeholders involved in the supply chain, we would be able to build a safer and better world ahead.